Thread: Pages are failing to validate

Scott is offline Certified Glow Sage

Default Pages are failing to validate

Pages on my site that have a form on them are not validating to XHTML 1.0 Strict. The problem occurs only when I copy the page from my local web server over to my account here for production. It appears that the web server, or something, here at glowhost is adding a hidden input tag that contains a php session id right after my form tag. Since the mysteriously appearing hidden input tag is not encapsulated in a p (or similar) tag it is causing these pages to fail validation. I have never encountered this situation in the past and am not sure how to handle this.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

That sounds very unusual. How are you uploading the site? Got a link to it and where in the source you see it?
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

I am uploading FTP over TLS.

Here is one example: http://www.allmartech.com/email-a-fr...llmartech.com/

This is even more strange, when I view source from my browser I see my code as expected:
    HTML Code:
    <form method="post"  action="http://www.allmartech.com/email-a-friend.php?ref=www.allmartech.com/">
    <p><input name="ref" type="hidden" value="www.allmartech.com/" /></p>
    <p><input name="action" type="hidden" value="transmit" /></p>

However, when I validate w3c sees:
    HTML Code:
    <form method="post" action="http://www.allmartech.com/email-a-friend.php?ref=www.allmartech.com/"><input type="hidden" name="PHPSESSID" value="b4824038e1828bccfbd183a3d3bfb174" />

Some progres.

My local php.ini file has the following turned off: session.use_trans_sid, while gloowhost has this on.

Checking further ...

More info from php.net ...

session.use_trans_sid boolean session.use_trans_sid whether transparent sid support is enabled or not. Defaults to 0 (disabled).
    Note: For PHP 4.1.2 or less, it is enabled by compiling with --enable-trans-sid. From PHP 4.2.0, trans-sid feature is always compiled.
    URL based session management has additional security risks compared to cookie based session management. Users may send a URL that contains an active session ID to their friends by email or users may save a URL that contains a session ID to their bookmarks and access your site with the same session ID always, for example.
    url_rewriter.tags string url_rewriter.tags specifies which HTML tags are rewritten to include session id if transparent sid support is enabled. Defaults to a=href,area=href,frame=src,input=src,form=fakeentr y,fieldset=
    Note: If you want XHTML conformity, remove the form entry and use the <fieldset> tags around your form fields.

The fieldset tag doesn't work because the glowhost url_rewriter.tags is set to "a=href,area=href,frame=src,form=,fieldset="

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

I assume you are using sessions and need them? Sounds like you want this

session.use_cookies ON
    session.use_only_cookies ON

Well it looks like I found a work around by changing the glowhost ini setting for url_rewriter.tags.

I would like to open a discussion as to why session.use_trans_sid is on if the default value is suppose to be disabled.

Thanks

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

Laurens Holst Says:
    July 28th, 2004 at 9:13 pm Another solution for XHTML
    As far as XHTML validation is concerned, another nice solution with the added advantage that it doesn’t disable the trans_sid functionality itself is:
    ini_set(’arg_separator.input’,'&amp;’);
    ini_set(’arg_separator.output’,'&amp;’);
    It simply changes the invalidating ampersant from & to &amp;, solving the problem! This is also a good solution if ini_set(’session.use_trans_sid’,'0′) doesn’t work but you don’t want to/can’t temper with .htaccess files.
    ~Grauw

http://www.mtdev.com/2002/06/why-you...use_trans_sid/

Good discussion here.
    http://www.mtdev.com/2002/06/why-you...use_trans_sid/
    Last edited by Matt; 12-02-2006 at 07:43 PM.