Thread: SQL Nightmare

andychev is offline Master Glow Jedi

Unhappy SQL Nightmare

Can anyone help with the following as its driving me insane ! Probably something really obvious but it has fried my brain now!

I have two tables, Categories_stores, Categories_description.

Ok put in english this is what i want to happen:

I want to look into the stores table and select all the rows that are equal to a variable 'GLOBAL_CURRENT_STORE_NAME' obviously theae are all in the same column (categories_storename)

This will give a big long list of numbers from this table under categories_id.

I then want this column to be used to select all the corresponding records out of the categories description_table

The sql i currently have is:

$categories_query = tep_db_query("SELECT cd.categories_id, categories_name FROM " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_STORES . " cs WHERE language_id = $this_language_id and cd.categories_id = cs.categories_id and cs.categories_storename = '" . GLOBAL_CURRENT_STORE_NAME . "' ORDER BY categories_name");

This just brings up the following error:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'and cd.categories_id = cs.categories_id and cs.categories_store

Am i missing something really obvious ! Any help would be much apreciated!
    Last edited by andychev; 05-22-2006 at 11:00 AM.

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

Default Always use quotes!

Generally I have found that the stuff right before the printed error is USUALLY the real cause, so I look at this:

WHERE language_id = $this_language_id

and I see that if $this_language_id is null, which I bet it is, it will throw an error.
    Always a good idea to do this:
    language_id = '$this_language_id'
    ... for one thing, many a hack was done with a quoteless ID. Look up SQL-injection for the gory details.

Anyway, may I suggest putting this in your toolbox:

$sql="some query";
    $db=mysql_query($sql);
    $ref = mysql_fetch_row($db);
    if (mysql_error()){
    print mysql_error()."<br>$sql<br>";
    exit();
    }

Seeing the Actual SQL after an error can usually speed up debugging by thousands!

andychev is offline Master Glow Jedi

excellent excellent and excellent! Thaks so much! Often the way you look at something for so long it ends up being something so simple. Exactly what you said, put the $this_language_id in quotes and hey presto all working.

Thanks so much

Andy