Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spam-O-Matic - Newbies Manager

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Default Spam-O-Matic - Newbies Manager

The Newbies Manager in GlowHost's Spam-O-Matic Spam Firewall for vBulletin forums is built into Spam-O-Matic so that new users who register on your forum are automatically placed into a usergroup that has less permissions than your regular "Registered Users" group.

unlimited-everything.jpg

You will need to create this usergroup on your own, and then supply Spam-O-Matc with the numerical ID of this usergroup so that Spam-O-Matic knows what group to put new users into.

Once these users have proven their trustworthiness on your forums, Spam-O-Matic can automatically promote them to the "Registered Users" group or any other group of your choice based on simple post-count rules. If you want a more advanced promotion system, you can use the one built into vBulletin and disable the simple promotion system built into Spam-O-Matic.

You are free to disable automatic promotions from Spam-O-Matic and vBulletin completely, and then move the users manually if you like.

CAUTION: When you make your "Newbies" Group, make sure to do the following:

A) Go to your vBulletin Admincp > Forums and Moderators > Forum Permissions and make sure to give your Newbies a lower set of permissions that your Registered Users. (For example, turn off signatures and image uploads)

B) Go to vBulletin Admincp > > Usergroups > Usergoup Manager and permission the usegroup with a lower set of permissions than your Registered Users.

If you fail to perform the above steps it is possible that you have allowed your Newbies to view your private forums or other privileged areas.

It is strongly suggested that you permission your Newbies group before enabling Newbies Manager in Spam-O-Matic.
    Last edited by Matt; 11-08-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

Bob Carpenter is offline Newbie

For some reason newly registered members are being placed in regular registration. They are not being placed in the Newbies section that I've created. I do have the newbies group ID as 23 and verified it. Is there something I'm missing ?

Bob Carpenter is offline Newbie

Never mind, I found the problem.

peasoup is offline Newbie

I have just installed this plugin for VB4.2, thanks!

I tested it by creating new users and it worked as expected, placed the user in the newbies usergroup and moderated their posts. However it isn't moderating the spammers, their accounts are going straight through to the registered usergroup. How is this so? If I try again and make an account, it always works correctly for me but not the spammers

What could be causing this?

The plugin is doing something, because it says its blocking user registrations in the statistics area.

Thanks again.

I would check the official support thread here:

[GlowHost] Spam-O-Matic - Spam Firewall stops forum spam - vBulletin.org Forum

...to see if any other users are experiencing the same problem. It is the first I have heard of it.
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | GlowHost's Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | GlowHost on Google+

vbluis is offline Newbie

Thank you. I can put the group ID 2 (new registered by default) as a group "newbies" spam-o-matic?

Or should I create a new group for newbies spam-o-matic and promote confidence to the group of newly registered (ID 2 by default).

Is there any incompatibility?

I shut off the system newbies promotions> new vbulletin register if I have the spam promotions system-o-matic? or I can create the same promotion in the two?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vbluis View Post
    Or should I create a new group for newbies spam-o-matic and promote confidence to the group of newly registered (ID 2 by default).
    This is the way it was intended when we created this, use this option.

Quote Originally Posted by vbluis View Post
    I shut off the system newbies promotions> new vbulletin register if I have the spam promotions system-o-matic? or I can create the same promotion in the two?
    thanks

I would imagine that they work together, since if you make a newbies group, SOM would handle those promotions for that group, and vB would handle any others.

RCull is offline Nearly a Glow Sage

I am running Spam-O-Matic on VB 4.2.2. The newly registered are going into the "Newbies" group. I have enabled Auto-Promotion, but they don't seem to be moving.

I am on a virtual server, is it possible that my host has something set that is interfering with it? Maybe they have something that stops the cron job?

I went looking for the original instructions for setting up Spam-O-Matic, but didn't find them. I am wondering if I need a Newbies Group or if Spam-O-Matic will work on my site without it.

Thanks

AnthonyGlow is offline Nearly a Master Glow Jedi

I am not sure I understand you correctly. If you haven't created a group yet - You will need to create this usergroup on your own, and then supply Spam-O-Matc with the numerical ID of this usergroup so that Spam-O-Matic knows what group to put new users into.

Please read the first post of this thread carefully and verify you did everything in the same way. If you currently host your site with GlowHost, and still have questions - please, create a support ticket so we could assist you better. If you are not hosted with GlowHost I am afraid we can only offer limited support here in the forums.
    Last edited by Matt; 12-07-2015 at 04:51 PM.

Try to make sure that you have your group IDs configured correctly. That should be the only reason it does not work, unless another plugin is interfering with it.

I also seem to remember that there were settings for vBulletin's own built-in promotion system, I forgot what they call it however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast