Thread: server load average

ed_meyer is offline Practically a Glow Sage

Default server load average

Can you please explain a little about server load averages? I've seen over 125.?? today but sometimes it's down close to 1.??. What average should be expected for the proffesional level account. Thank you.

BTW I'm on Missy
    Last edited by ed_meyer; 10-17-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Alexander is offline Technical Analyst

The average load should be lover than 5.00, but the resent load spike was caused by the client's scripts together with the backup system running. This problem has been resolved as you can see.

Thanks Alex for the fast reply. I still see the average being well over 5 for the last 5 1/2 hours. Is this normal whenever a backup is running, and do backups usually continue through the prime business time of a weekday? I have in the past had some trouble getting my email and I thought I had the cause mostly pinpointed to my ISP. I am on Hughes satellite and my ping times can often run up to 2000ms. I noticed poor response times this morning and that's why I'm watching the server load so closely. Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy glowhost customer of several years.

Usually backups are running in the night, but today we had to run them during the day as a part of backup system reconfiguration. Don't worry, it doesn't happen often.

Seems Missy's overloaded again all this morning. I'm getting timeouts. I have seen the load up to 19...
    webhost1.jpg

Todays load spikes are caused by the backup system running plus unusual spamers activity. We are fighting this problem, but backups must be completed. Sorry for any inconveniences, but this issue is not critical and are watching it all the time.

Thanks for keeping an eye on everything. Also thanks for taking care of the full backup drive last night. I can only imagine the headaches that must come up when managing so many servers. Over the years, I have seen a few minor problems come and go, and must say that you're always there and always take care of any problems quickly and professionally. Kudos

Thanks for your kind words. We always try to do our best.