Thread: Which Plan for Quality HD Video Playing?

Triple is offline Almost no longer a newbie!

Default Which Plan for Quality HD Video Playing?

Not being a tech guy, I have no idea what it takes on the server end to properly play an HD video that may be in the 250 mb file size range.

I am not sure how Vimeo and ExposureRoom, but they both play HD videos well, especially ExposureRoom.com

We will not have a truckload of videos, as it is a hobby specific sort of site, BUT, if the HD videos play crappy, the site will be dead before it ever gets off the ground.

Oh yes, I am sure someone has a dedicated screaming fast server that they are more than happy to sell for a boatload of money, but will the basic plans play HD videos as well as Vimeo or ExposureRoom? Or will they be all jerky, need constant buffering, etc?

I am ready to go, I just need to ask some dumb newbie questions first.

Alexander is offline Technical Analyst

Hi, I suppose, that powerful dedicated server is the best option for you. But you can try or Semi-dedicated server package to start with. It will help to find the most suitable configuration for you.

So the economical shared FFMpeg hosting plans won't cut it as far as playing HD movies well with a PHPMotion v3 interface?

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

A lot of it has to do with your user or your own connection speed. I don't think a 250 meg video will be able to be uploaded in time to prevent a server time out on most connections. So yes sure a shared server may work fine for you, as it does for some people but it really depends on many factors.

I doubt vimeo and exposure room have shared hosting plans powering their site.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

Well, they also have thousands of videos, whereas if we have 200 after several years, I would be surprised.

The bandwidth thing is an obvious numerical issue, I just don't know if the cheaper plans would impact HD video playing or uploading as you mentioned.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

HD video playback is going to have more to do with:

A) If you can get the file on the server before a timeout occurs.
    B) The scripts configuration
    C) Connection Speed for downloads

You shouldn't see much buffering provided your download speed is reasonable, and some script players do a better job than others in regards to when they start playback on the progressive download.

In other words it really depends on what your goals are, if this site needs to be usable to your visitors in regards to upload, or just you, who the audience is, etc.

If you want something that will work well for nearly all of your users, a dedicated would be best, if you want something that is primarily for you or a small group then a budget shared pan would work.

If you want something in between, try a semi-dedicated and go up or down in service levels from there.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |