Thread: How To Log Off A Password Protected Directory

JohnMorris is offline Certified Glow Sage

Default How To Log Off A Password Protected Directory

Hi,

I am supporting several very low transaction volume domains, and have just started implementing passwords. But I'm not sure how to get a user "logged off"!

1. SCENARIO: Publish Flash file to an add-on domain in my account.

2. TEST w/o PASSWORD: Flash file works fine (it's a Flash version of a PowerPoint).

3. PASSWORD: I add on a password to the domain root, and it works fine.

4. TEST w/ PASSWORD: I get the Windows login dialogue when I hit the domain, put in the new username and password, and bingo, works great.

5. TEST w/DIFFERENT USERNAME: So, now I want to test a second username. But my browser or the website has memorized my rights, so when I hit the site, I don't get the login dialogue anymore. And because I'm automatically in, I'm stuck. I can't test the second user.

6. QUESTION NO. 1 -- LOGIN PERSISTENCE: Am I logged in permanently now? Is this a browser issue or a website issue?

7. QUESTION NO. 2 -- FORCE SIMPLE LOGOFF: How can I make it possible to log off the site now? Right now, my proof-of-concept is super simple, and is just a SWF file (i.e. Flash) which boots automatically when you hit the site. What is the simplest way to shut down the login?

Thanks!

John

Default My Simple index.html file -- And Desired Behaviours

Folks,

Below here is my simple index.html file, which boots the SWF file. It is NOT in a loop.

1. SIMPLE LOGOFF -- Is there just a simple line I need to add, or a switch on the SWF line, which will cause a log off to occur?

2. LOGOFF AS OPTION -- Or better still, give the option of re-playing the SWF OR logging off?

Thanks!

John

<!-- <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> -->
    <html xmlns="XHTML namespace" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
    <title>Test 100 Title</title>
    </head>
    <body topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" bgcolor="#000000">
    <object id="presentation" width="100&#37;" height="100%" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/s...rsion=9,0,28,0" align="middle">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
    <param name="movie" value="Test 100 File.swf" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
    <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
    <embed src="Test 100 File.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="100%" height="100%" name="presentation" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" allowFullScreen="true" /></object>
    </body>
    </html>
    Last edited by JohnMorris; 01-13-2008 at 09:05 PM.

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

I believe you are out of luck. .htaccess password protected folders are session-based, so the only way I know of to log out is to close ALL instances of your browser, or maybe delete your cache. But you can't script that. So, really, the only way you will get what you want is to use a membership script (php cgi) and wrap the flash in a script page that can control access.

You may want to look at fantastico and see if any of the free CMS frameworks could be used, like Joomla, Drupal (high learning curve, very good though)

Default Good Advice

John-Marc,

Thanks for your advice! (Interested parties can also see the separate reply in the other thread, from Matt.)

Actually, I have been using Drupal, installed via Fantastico, and am not bad at it.

In this case, I just wanted to do a "proof-of-concept" around a Flash movie. The solution of just closing the browser is a good simple solution for now. I see scripting in my future. But at least I know I'm not missing something simple here.

Thanks!

John

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

Cool! (showing my age) I think Drupal should fit your scripting needs. Give me a PM buz if you want to do some drupal work in the future if you are that good. Considering dumping nuke for a client in the next 6-9 months. Need something that tightly integrates to some custom apps. I haven't looked at it extesively but some hot-ass JAVA geeks in my circle were highly impressed by it, and it is tough to impress JAVA geeks with stuff that aint JAVA!