Thread: Hosting multiple domains

rankinfile is offline No longer a Newbie

Default Hosting multiple domains

Hello,

I just purchased the 5-Star plan and had a question. I own 5 domains and want to host them all on my account, but I can't find out how to do that. The info says I can host 10 extra domains. Are those "added" domains in my control panel? Does that mean I can host 9 more domains with unique names for free? I've looked thru the website and all the FAQ and still can't find the answer.

Thanks

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Yes, all unique domains. All you need to do is point the DNS for the other domain names to the same DNS as the main domain that you ordered hosting with.

DNS information is found in your instruction letter, or you can do a WHOIS lookup on your domain at InstaPro.net To do a WHOIS just type your domain in the search box like you are trying to register it. It will tell you the domain is registered, and to click a link for more details. Click the link and follow the on-screen instructions. Eventually you will receive some information on the screen and your current nameservers will be listed.

Then all domains will resolve to the same server. Once they have resolved, you can use the option in your cPanel called "addon domains" then type in the domain name, the folder you want to act as public_html for that domain, and an account password for that domain.

The password allows you to setup a separate ftp account so that you can only access that folder you specified for public_html for the secondary domain, however it is not needed as you can always log into the main website and load files into the secondary site from your main login.
    Last edited by Matt; 10-20-2005 at 12:22 AM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

As a follow up you can upload your secondary site's file system to the secondary site's public_html folder in advance.

This is useful for preventing downtime for addon domains that are already live. If you need special help with some addon domains that cannot afford downtime while you resolve the DNS, open a support ticket and we can override cPanel to allow your addon domains to be created before they resolve.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand....

If you upload a folder called site2 and it has your entire site in it, then it is there for you to preview at yourdomain.com/site2 you can make sure everything is in order, then go ahead and point your DNS over. once the domain resolves, go to addon domains, and specify the folder that you uploaded your site to in advance (site2) and create the addon domain.

Now the site2 folder acts as public_html for domain2.com. You can do this for any number of addon domains allowed in your package.

More on addon domains can be found here:
    http://www.glowhost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28
    Last edited by Matt; 06-30-2007 at 09:41 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

rankinfile is offline No longer a Newbie

Thanks for the help! I'll give that a try soon.