Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domain name transfer help?

vorpalbunny is offline Certified Glow Sage

Question Domain name transfer help?

First of all, hi, I'm new here.
    Second, I'm practically techno-illiterate, so please keep any responses simple and please don't laugh too much if I make any ridiculous mistakes.
    Third, thanks in advance for any advice offered!

I just switched to GlowHost yesterday and I'm having trouble getting my domain name transferred or even redelegated. I've tried emailing my old host but they do not work on weekends, and since this is a holiday weekend in the States, it'll be Tuesday before they reply (anyone wonder why I switched? LOL)

According to Whois, my status is "clientTransferProhibited" - but I don't remember agreeing to that when I bought my domain name! When my old host refunded my money, they kept $10.00 of it so that I could keep my domain name, but of course it no longer has an IP address - so what good is it to me if I can't transfer it?

Can anyone help a thoroughly befuddled newbie?

Alexander is offline Technical Analyst

Hello, vorpalbunny.
    If you want to resolve the domain to your Glowhost server, you just need to set correct NS that you've received in your welcome letter. So, if you have access to your domain control panel, you should do it. If not, the staff should do it. "ClientTransferProhibited" status means that you can't transfer the domain and the domain registrator must unlock it and provide you with an authorization code which allows another domain registrator to perform transfer. So, I'm afraid, you'll have to wait until they answer you. Less depends on us.

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Actually I don't think that you need to transfer the domain, just the nameservers. We generally do not "transfer-in" domains we generally let you keep it where it is registered now, or you can make the domain "transfer in" to our sister site, InstaPro.net

All you need to do though is, as Alex said, unlock the domain name, when it is unlocked, update the nameservers on the domain. This is what will point the domain to GlowHost web hosting from the old web host. This should allow you to bypass the authorization code process which is required for a domain transfer in, but not required for a nameserver transfer. This function is usually free and generally can be done by you without your host's intervention, at the site where the domain has been registered.

Make sense?
    Last edited by Matt; 09-01-2007 at 04:54 PM.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

Default Thanks

Thanks, Alexander and Matt! I didn't expect to get any replies so soon!

I don't necessarily need to transfer the domain name if something simpler would do, but I seem to be stuck - I can get into my control panel, but I don't see anything about nameservers or DNS when I'm there, just a lot of icons. I think Alexander is right, I'm just going to have to wait until someone at my old host gets back to me, but I really appreciate your responses!

jmarcv is offline Cranky Coder

...I can get into my control panel but....

Its got nothing to do with your glowhost account, if thats what you mean.
    You need to login to your domain account accessed by the website of the company that the domain name is registered with. I have a feeling you have never done this, your old hosts did it for you, so you are probably still going to be out of luck?

Thanks, John-Marc. You're right on several counts: Yes, it's my GlowHost control panel that I can access. I can't get into the one I had through my old host; it no longer recognizes my login. According to Domain Dossier, my domain name no longer has an IP address - which I think makes sense, since I cancelled the old host and they seem to be hanging onto it for the time being.

You're also right in that I have never done this, and I probably am out of luck until they get back to me. It's not much fun being in over my head like this, but I'm determined to learn all I can and make my web site work. These problems can't last forever, can they?

If your host registered the domain for you and they are being unresponsive, you can typically go directly to the domain registrar and ask them for direct login access to their site so that you can modify your DNS details....provided your host registered the domain in your name, and not theirs.

WHOIS will tell you who the registrar of your domain is.

Thanks! I just checked, and unfortunately the old host has it registered in their name, so I'm back to waiting for them to contact me and let me have access to what I paid for *insert deep, self-pitying, melodramatic sigh here.*

Oh well, it could be worse - I could have discovered the *ahem* quality of their service after the refund deadline had passed!

I don't suppose there are any regulatory or governing bodies I can contact regarding my old host preventing me from using the domain name I paid for, are there?

Well, you really need to read the old host's Terms of Service.

If you agreed to these Terms, you may be out of luck. If they don't have a Terms of Service or other legal agreement, well, I suppose it is a painful lesson learned. Don't use a host that does not have this agreement.

Bottom line is you can't do much about a domain that is registered to someone else, (in this case, your old host) not without some heavy legal dollars anyways.

Best just to wait and see what they say, then report it back here so we know the results (and feel free to mention who these people are, if you like) so others can know about your experience.
    Last edited by Matt; 09-02-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast