Thread: Add MX to domain name

photosbyblo is offline No longer a Newbie

Default Add MX to domain name

One of my clients purchased their domain name thru verizon. I am to host her new website. Verizon says that for her to continue to get email thru her verizon account I need to 'add the mx server to the new dns account' so that she will continue to get her email and I will be able to host her website. I looked on the control panel, on the left hand column, and there was a link for 'edit MX Entry'. Is it just a matter of putting the mx info (10mta1.bizmailsrvcs.net) into the text box associated with the domain name and hitting 'enter' for this to work? Thanks!

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

That may not be the case. Is the email address @verizon or @herdomain ?
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |

photosbyblo is offline No longer a Newbie

She tells me the verizon tech says the @verizon email won't be affected, so its the @herdomain email that is at issue. Also stated in a recent email from her is that "to revise the MX records to MTA1 and MTA2. Currently there is a number in front of the MTA". So besides my question about the 'how to' in the control panel is this question: what is the proper format, if you know, which may be a question for a verizon tech Thanks!

Matt is offline GlowHost Administrator

Well see, if Verizon gives you access to the nameservers on the domain there is no need for such rubbish. Are they going to be the ones hosting the DNS? If so I would transfer the domain out immediately because as a domain owner you want full DNS control not Verizon.

InstaPro.net allows you to transfer the Domain for $9.00 and comes with a one year renewal.

Then you just point the nameservers to your nameservers and everything works like normal.

i guess I'd need to know the whole reason that Verizon is telling her to use their MX. Are they providing specialty email services?

The MX can be setup in different ways and in most cases is not needed to be changed, so more info from you is required.
    Send your friends and site visitors to GlowHost and get $125 plus bonus!
    GlowHost Affiliate Program | Read our Blog | Follow us on X |